SC - Re: Marchpane base recipe

Elise Fleming alysk at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 20 15:34:04 PDT 1998

Greetings!  The "Dining With William Shakespeare" has a delicious
cookie base (lots of butter) to put under the marchpane.  It isn't
period but it's delicious anyhow.  Period sources say "wafers" so I
think pretty much any of the sweet wafers would work (as opposed to
savory ones).  If you have a pizzelle maker, try some of those.  Does
that help at all?  (Now, to me, I don't know _how_ one would make a
large pizzelle if one wanted a marchpane bigger than what comes out of
the pizzelle maker.  I suppose you could smoosh a few together - cut
off rounded parts, for example, and add the marzipan on top.  You would
probably want to bake the thing on bakers' parchment, which is
mentioned in some period sources.)

Alys Katharine