SC - A Good Book

rudin at okway.okstate.edu rudin at okway.okstate.edu
Wed May 27 07:40:13 PDT 1998

     I just got a catalog from Acanthus Books yesterday that listed C. Anne
     Wilson's Food and Drink in Britain, as well as several others.  They
     posted to the list a week or so ago offering a catalog of historical
     cookery books.  Send a request to acanthusbk at aol.com  The catalog has
     a lot of non-period things but there are a good number of period
     books, including the Scully books, Curye, Two Fifteenth Century
     Cookbooks and several others that have been mentioned on the list.

     Mercédes
     rudin at okway.okstate.edu

C Anne Wilson's Food and Drink in Britain.  It only covers England but its
the best book on food history (not recipes) I've come across.  Its out of
print, but well worth searching for.  The Tannahill is a good starting
point, but this has much more info in it.

The Art of Medieval Cooking or Early French Cooking, both by Terence Scully,
has a wonderful analysis of the humours theory (although I understand
Constance Hiett does not entirely agree with him!).  The other one is better
for recipes.