SC - Subing????

Fri May 29 08:18:07 PDT 1998

Going from memory, there were a number of things traded between Spain and
Italy in the late 16th Century which the wily Venetians traded to the Turks,
among them maize and capsicum peppers.   In turn, the Turks introduced them
to Eastern and Central Europe.  Tomatoes are probably part of this trade to
the Middle East.  If so, they would have been introduced very late in the
SCA period and would probably not have been used in period.

Of the top of my head, I can't remember any specific sources, but a turn
through Braudel's trilogy on the history of Civilization and Capitalism
should connect you with some bibliographic references.  Come to think of it,
his The Mediterrenean and the Mediterrenean World in the Age of Phillip II
and Out of Italy 1450-1650 might be useful in this case.

Bear