SC - Marrows (vegetable)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Nov 4 07:27:03 PST 1998

Hi yall!

I just wanted to share something with yous (<- Rhode Islandese there).

I made "2 squabs from 1" from Platina last night and it was fun and I would
have to say it was a success!

Since I have a hard time locating squab (and I am not too sure that I am up
for trying pigeon), I used Cornish Game hens.  (Now you all are going to
tell me CGH's are pigeons on steroids, right? ;-)

Anyway, I sat down with my knife and started to take the skin off of one of
the birds.  I cut down the center of the backbone and then started to take
it off like a jacket.  I had some trouble with the wings, but the legs
worked out great.  I mixed up some ground pork with sage and pepper and salt
and used that as my sausage stuffing.  I stuffed the legs of the skin and
then I formed the rest of the sausage into a lump on my cutting board,
wrapped the skin around it and then mooshed the sausage into shape.  My
boyfriend didn't really pay attention to the whole process and he thought
the sausage one was the bird!  So I started to bake the sausage bird while I
tied the legs of the real bird to gether and popped that in.  The sausage
bird cokked up really yummy and crispy brown.  Next time I make it I either
have to cook it slower or cover it for part of the time.  The outside was as
done as I wanted it to be, but the middle of the pork was still raw.  I cut
it open to check the middle and then just popped it back in the oven to
finish cooking.  I cooked the bird part way.  This is where I ran into
problems.  The bird wasn't really juicy when it came out and the directions
said,"Sprinkle on salt and bread crumbs and brush with yolks".  Well, I
tried that and of course, the bread crumbs stuck to the brush.  So I kinda
dribbled the yolks on and put it back in the oven.  After it had cooked a
bit, I took it back out and brushed the yolks on *first* then sprinkled the
bread crumbs and everything was good.  I let it cook for a little longer
then I put it under the broiler to toast it to give it more color (just like
Platina said).  Well, Kenrick really liked it and he was very excited about
it.  Now get this!  He doesn't cook and he was trying to figure out if it
would be feasible for a feast!  (He gets to help me skin all those d@#$
chickens if we do a feast!)

I can post the original translation by Mary Pelham (what ever her name is)
if you want sometime in the next couple of days but basically it said to
skin the squab and stuff the skin "with sausage of the best type" and to
cook that and then to boil, fry or roast the squab and when it is half
cooked sprinkle on slat and bread crumbs and brush on yolks and just before
serving toast it near the fire to give it more color.

Yours,
Avelina
Deanna Knott
GTE Government Systems