SC - OT - An old recipe memory

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Thu Nov 5 13:47:36 PST 1998

>And they are from...?
>
>FRANCE

Well that may explain it.  The point I am making here is that the french
language is obviously different between say, Africa, France, Quebec, etc. I
have found that even the geographical differences between east and west
Canada can make for almost a whole different language. Certainly from France
and Canada or France and Africa would be even more so. You can prolly carry
this train of conjecture right down to the linguistics prevalent in the MA,
perhaps even more so. One of which would allegedly have been, that the
differences between clerics who wrote things down and the average Joe were
astronomical, even if they could read. Manuscripts and such are very open to
individual interpretation.

In my experience this behaviour is common across the board...

While I consider myself reasonably bilingual, I cannot write the French
legalese required of my contracting position (ALL documentation, including
contracts which I write, MUST be in our two official languages....thank God
for alot of standardization) so it goes to translation. Regardless of which
gov't department I have worked for in the last 18 years, one thing is very
common. French Translators, though no fault of their own, are bound by
exactly what they know. Give the same paragraph to ten french translators
and it will take forever and several versions for them to come up with it.
You will prolly get a couple that have nothing to do with your original
intent and if you pass them around, out fly the Rogets and Harraps both hard
bound and electronic. They can fiddle with them till the cows come home.
French grammer has really taking a beating by L'Académie in France and is
one language that has developed in leaps and bounds rather than a slow
progressive thingy. It has been modified to the extreme.

So this is why I say that the INTENT has to be conjectured and interpreted
all too frequently, because even spelling erorrs and cultural slang had
rules that apply to certain time frames. According to my Harraps, what I
posted earlier and which someone else pretty much agreed with still
stands....for today. And as I also said, here in Quebec bacon in french...is
bacon.

Micaylah