SC - Vegetable Tarte from Goodman of Paris pg 278

CONNECT@aol.com CONNECT at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 08:54:43 PST 1998

Anne-Marie Rousseau wrote:

> My advice is to stay away from gluten roast...not only is it not
> documnetably medieval for Europe (cant speak for the East), but its
> expensive and no one will eat it but a couple vegetarians, maybe (most of
> the vegetarians I know wouldnt touch it with a ten foot pole). Go for a
> dish that everyone can eat, just that vegetarians can use it as their main
> dish while everyone else gets it as a side.

Agreed! My experience has been that vegetable products come across much
better as themselves, not masquerading as meat. The Far Eastern use of
such foods as bean curd and wheat gluten made to resemble meat is a
philosophical preference, not an aesthetic one. I mean, I doubt there
are too many Buddhist monks who say, "Man, I really have a craving for
steak, I'm gonna go get me some gluten!" The inclusion of faux meats in
a Buddhist vegetarian feast seems to be an acknowledgement that a
balanced diet for the average human, less dedicated to the spiritual
than most Buddhist monks (although I could tell you stories about some
Buddhist monks ;  )...), includes fish, meat, and fowl as well as
vegetables. As I say, a philosophical imperative.

Why am I reminded of a scene in one of those National Lampoon movies
which involved hamburgers made entirely from Hamburger Helper? [Eeeewww!!!]

Yes, by all means, go with frumenty, chiches, or possibly canebyns.

Adamantius, traumatized as a child during a Meat Boycott in the early
70's by a gluten product known as "Joshua Fillets"...

Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com