SC - Vegetable Tarte from Goodman of Paris pg 278

CONNECT at aol.com CONNECT at aol.com
Mon Nov 9 08:54:43 PST 1998

I do not have the original text from the Goodman of Paris cookbook, but this
tarte should be found on page 278 if you have the book.
- ------------
This receipe was redacted from Goodman of Paris by dona Dulcinea Maria von
Muhlberg y Aguilar, of the Middle Kingdom.

1/2 cup mustard greens
1/2 cup swiss chard
1/2 cup fresh parsley
1/2 cup spinach
1/4 cup dried chervil (or 1/2 cup fresh)
1 tsp fennel seeds
1&1/2 tsp peppercorns
1/2 cup parmesan cheese--grated
1 cup cheddar cheese--grated
7 eggs beaten
pastry for two single crust pies

Heat oven to 400 degress. Line two 9" pie tins. Wash, pat dry, devein and
finely chop the greens. Beat eggs. Stir in all ingredients except 1/4 cup
parmesan cheese. Pour into pie tins. Sprinkle tops with reserved parmesan
cheese. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn down heat to 350 degress and
cook for 15 minutes, or until eggs are completely cooked.

serves 16

note: This receipe calls for beet tops, which I have substitued with mustard,
chard and spinach (these are all mentioned at various points in the
manuscript.)
- ---------------------

As stated earlier, these pies are even better if you reheat them. So, I have
always made them in advance, frozen them and then reheated them for 15 minutes
at approx. 400 degrees before serving. I'd suggest covering the crust of the
pies when baking, as they can get very dark if left exposed.

It's important to put the greens into the egg mixture and then ladel that
mixture into the tins. The one time I goofed and put the greens into the
shells and poured the egg and cheese mixture on them, the texture was off
considerably. I grind the peppercorns very coarsely, but leave the fennel
seeds whole.

It is my opinion that this dish is great for vegetarians who will eat eggs and
cheese. Be sure to use a pie shell made with vegetable shortening. I've served
this as a main dish for vegetarians and as a side dish for carnivors, and had
very little returned to the kitchen.

Your humble servant,
Rosalyn MacGregor
(Pattie Rayl)