SC - Re: Atlantian Crown

S.Albert salbert at ptialaska.net
Mon Nov 9 21:45:41 PST 1998

> My rastons recipe (from Two Fifteenth Century Cookery Books) calls for you
> to crumble the inside of the bread while keeping the sides and bottom
> crust
> whole, adding butter to the crumbs and mixing, putting the top back on,
> and
> rebaking the whole thing briefly.  No frying and no spices. Where is your
> recipe from?
>
> Elizabeth/Betty Cook

No recipe.  The only reference I had handy was a set of general notes.  I'm
running some comparisons between various authors.  This particular entry is
from the general commentary in Sass's To The King's Taste.

As you raised the question, I located my copy of Sass and checked the raston
recipe, rather than the commentary.  It is from Harleian and is as you
stated.  Sass interprets this as mixing the butter and crumbs in the skillet
used to melt the butter.

Bear