SC - Fw: [Mid] Society Equestrian Newsletter! (fwd)

Philippa Alderton phlip at bright.net
Thu Nov 12 17:37:41 PST 1998

On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:11:37 -0600 "Decker, Margaret"
<margaret at Health.State.OK.US> writes:
>The winter tourney is upon us here in Anesteorra and my question is -
>what  would be a good period non-alcoholic hot drink. I know that hot
>chocolate, coffee (as we serve it today) and tea are not in period but
are >herbal infusions and if so which ones?

I don't know about periodness, and I can't document, but mulled cider
almost seems to evaporate at our MidWinter's Tale event every year.   No
recipe really, either.  We just dump lots of cider (NOT apple juice) into
the biggest pot we can get our hands on.  Put it on over low heat.  Put
several cinnamon sticks, some whole cloves, a whole nutmeg, and some
whole coriander seed into a cloth bag or piece of cheesecloth and tie up.
 Drop it in the cider and stir occasionally until hot. Serve.  I usually
have two pots going so that one can be heating while the other is being
served and just rotate them out. I've noticed that the bag of spices
usually will last for 2-3 pots before getting weak.

Caitlin NicFhionghuin
House Oak & Thistle
Shire of Bordervale Keep, Atlantia
Augusta, GA