SC - European vs. Middle Eastern-ending it

William Seibert a14h at zebra.net
Mon Nov 16 13:23:58 PST 1998

Morgan wrote:

(Much snippage here to address only comments I wish to talk on :D)

>>Cariadoc and Elizabeth can give more detailed information on how to keep
>>this low; when we all lived in Grey Gargoyles there was no charge for
>>feasts.

That is impressive, I have always been to feasts that had some charge, even
if it was a potluck you brought something which sometimes was more expensive
than paying for an actual feast.  (Lets not start on the subject, potlucks
are not my favorite topic.)

>>You can do this if you plan ahead, buy in bulk, and have greengrocers and
>>butchers as friends (or seneschals, as His Grace pointed out).  This was,
by
>>the way, in a Kingdom where they regularly had $10.00-12.00 feast tickets.

I agree wholeheartedly, even if I agree to a feast at a certain price
because I have already done my cost out for an idea, but I can find items
cheaper.  I would rather give the barony back some money.

>>I am also one of the people who likes putting the whole menu in the
>>seneschal's flyer, if not in the newsletter announcements.  If I can, in
the
>>flyer also goes an ingredients list for each dish.  As in:  "Pretzels:
wheat
>>flour, water, salt, yeast."  If I'm trying to prove a point, I list
>>source/documentation.

I generally print out a feast menu in the advertisements, then print out an
ingredient list at the door.  I always ask anyone with dietary concerns to
contact me ahead of time so that I can adjust what I need to do for them.
But if they don't contact me ahead of time, I will not make major changes to
my menu for them.

>>This works even better than the price to tell people what will be in the
>>meal, as some places $5.00 gets you stew, bread, fruit, and cheese, while
in
>>Grey Gargoyles it would get you a four-course meal plus a dessert table
>>during dancing (if we were to charge for supper, which we did not).

I have usually done feasts for $3-$5 per head and soup/stew lunches for
about $1 per person (I do one vegetarian soup/stew and one meat-eaters
special).

Murkial