SC - Buying Space (Was: Price of Feasts) (Was: Butter)

Groulx, Michelle MGroulx at NRCan.gc.ca
Thu Nov 19 07:45:56 PST 1998

Micaylah asks:

>What I have heard time and time again, (but not being an authority, I am
not
saying this is true) is that IF the animal doesn't die immediately and is
quite terrified, the adrenal gland will cause such an influx of adrenaline
as to cause tough gamey meat. Can anyone verify this for me?<

That is quite true. Many years ago, my mother and I were working on
collecting venison recipes, and most of the ones we found were descendents
of Medieval English recipes, and required cooking the animals into grey
goo. The reason they were cooked so much was that most of the deer killed
at that time were run all over the landscape by dogs and horses and brought
to bay, then frequently several people would try to spear the animal. This
does not lead to a quick and peaceful passing, and adrenaline and fatigue
poisons do not improve the flavor AT ALL!!!!!

What you want is a quickly killed animal, which died or became unconscious
too quickly to be afraid- it's not only more humane, it improves the
quality of the meat immeasurably.

Phlip (who is looking forward to gently fried backstrap in the frying pan
tomorrow.)
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom