SC - Buying Space (Was: Price of Feasts) (Was: Butter)

THLRenata@aol.com THLRenata at aol.com
Thu Nov 19 11:22:46 PST 1998

>And there's another article, with recipes!!  See, you don't have to
>bother thinking up a thing!  I'll just come up with a year's worth of
>'assignments' for you.  Hee, hee, hee.
>Allison

Gee, thanks.  But really, I got a lot of ideas by cruising the
Florilegium for discussions on breakfasts, eggs, and the like.
Although, I have to admit to introducing "Poor Man's Quiche" to event
breakfasts years ago, and am I TIRED of seeing it now!  (Big breakfast
casserole with sausage, cheese, eggs, etc. on a 'crust' of toasted bread
- - you know the stuff)   I have also done omlettes to order (very popular,
but for a fighting event it holds the fighters up too long from getting
inspected)  Eggs Benedict (not period, but boy, were they popular!  Of
course it helps that my hollandaise is the very best in the world! :)
But my favorite breakfast was the Scottish one.  We did it on Sunday
morning, which is usually get up, pack, grab toast, coffee, and
leftovers, and leave the site.  Instead, I wanted the event to go on just
a little longer.  So, we arranged the hall with big square tables, and
used our lovely Royal Stewart flannel sheets for tablecloths.  We put
flowers on the tables, and had bagpipe music playing in the kitchen.  We
served oatmeal with lots of topping choices (butter, cinnamon sugar,
raisins, cheese, syrup, apples, nuts, jelly, etc.).  We had 'sausage
gillies', which were sausage patties wrapped in bisquit dough and baked.
They ended up being roughly half-moon shaped, and when we sliced across
the top of them twice to vent them, they came out looking like gillies
(highland dancing shoes).  They were nice and portable too, so the folks
on the move could pick up a couple and go with them.  I honestly don't
remember what else we served, but we did include some leftovers.  No one
went away hungry, and lots of people said something to the effect of how
nice it was to have the event continue through Sunday Morning! (Which, of
course, was my intention all along.)
Christianna