SC - Food processors

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Tue Nov 24 06:10:19 PST 1998

maddie teller-kook wrote:

> I couldn't live without my food processor.  I have a cuisinart, it is over
> 10yrs old.  I would recommend this brand highly.  You can use it for a large
> number of period recipes. Chopping nuts, making pastry, slicing vegetables,
> mixing sauces, pureeing vegetables. The list goes on.  As for attachments,
> The ones i use the most are the metal chopping blade, the grating blade (for
> cheeses, carrots, etc) and a few of the slicing blades.   I recommend the
> Cuisinart because it lasts for a long time.  There are other good brands out
> there.  I do recommend checking out Consumer Reports as well.
>
> Meadhbh

I think the operative term is "over ten years old". Cuisinarts are still
among the finest food processors money can buy, but a new Cuisinart has
nowhere near the muscle and durability of a well-maintained older model.

Cuisinart, BTW, was originally a product line made by a French company
called RoboCoup, which invented the food processor as we know it, made
several models for industrial use, and finally the Cuisinart for home
use. They eventually licensed the Cuisinart to, I think it was, Hamilton
Beach, and the Cuisinart began to be produced in the US.

Now, for all of you waiting breathlessly for my point, it is this: the
RoboCoup company is still, so far as I know, alive and well, and
producing RoboCoup food processors in France. They're expensive and
elitist, yes, but _they_ are indisputably the best food processors in
the world. The R-2 is the big model, which probably holds 3 quarts of
actual work space, as opposed to ones that hold 3 quarts and overflow
when you turn them on. The R-301 probably holds 2 quarts, but has a
stainless-steel bowl instead of a heavy, opaque plastic one.

My illustration of the relative quality of different food processors is
this: if David Letterman drops a Regal La Machine off a five-story
building, it'll shatter into component hash. When he drops a new
Cuisinart off the roof, it will probably break, and need repair. When he
drops an old Cuisinart off, it'll be damaged but still work. A RoboCoup
R-2 or an R-301 won't be scratched.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy