SC - OT - inalienable freedom of speech

Jgoldsp@aol.com Jgoldsp at aol.com
Fri Nov 27 02:44:16 PST 1998

Cindy/Sincgiefu gave a recipe:
> The recipe for Wastels yfarced (Forme of Cury, p. 72):
>
> Take a Wastel and hewe out [th]e crinnes.  take ayren & shepis talow &
> [th]e crinne of [th]e same Wastell powdor fort & salt wt Safron and Raisons
> corance. & medle alle [th]ise yfere & do it in [th]e Wastel. close it &
> bynde it fast togidre. and see[th] it wel.
>
> As you can see, this one is tied & boiled like a pudding.

What is a "wastel"? Is it a lump or dough or an already cooked loaf of
bread? What is a "ayren"? "crinne of the same Wastell" is the crumbs from
inside the loaf? If so, then I guess that answers my first question.

Sounds like you would end up with a wet, soggy blob, while doing it with
dough might get you some kind of dumpling.

How would you group this recipe? Is it a bread? A dumpling? Is there any
modern dish this resembles? If this ends up like a bread pudding, why
hollow it out and put the stuff inside the bread loaf? Why not just mix
the bread crumbs and spices and raisons together? Perhaps the loaf holds
everything together? But it is bound together. Perhaps the binding is
just string which wouldn't hold a loose dough or crumb mix but will hold
a soggy loaf?

Thanks.
  Stefan li Rous
  stefan at texas.net