blender on a stick, was Re: SC - Food processors

Bonne oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 27 09:29:42 PST 1998

> What evidence do we have that says stuffed breads are descendents of
> rastons
> or even that they share the same ancestor? Or are we just grouping all
> breads
> together that have something done to them after baking?

Stuffed breads are those where part of the loaf is removed and replaced.  By
definition, a raston is a stuffed bread.

My comment about it being a possible predecessor to fruit breads (where the
fruit is added to the dough and baked) is based on the opinion that rastons
were a dessert bread.

> So, while I used sourdough for my raston is there a better bread to use
> that
> is egg enriched? Is this bread available commercially? While I have baked
> sourdough bread in the past, I'm not sure if I'm up to attempting or
> having
> the time to bake more types of bread currently.
>
> Thanks.
>   Stefan li Rous
>   stefan at texas.net

The raston recipe is of interest to me because it gives a recipe for making
the bread.  This particular loaf calls for barm, egg white, a little egg
yolk and sugar all of which say sweet fortified dough, common to most yeast
risen fruit breads.

For this particular application a standard bread recipe of 1 teaspoon dry
active yeast, 2 cups water, 5-6 cups unbleached wheat flour, 2 teaspoons of
salt, 2-3 tablespoons of sugar, 2 egg whites and 1 egg yolk.

Substituting sour dough into the recipe, I would use a tablespoon of salt
and a half cup of sugar.

Bear