SC - Thanksgiving

Seton1355@aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Mon Nov 30 13:06:11 PST 1998

http://www.lengua.com/languages/translations/German/germanlanguage.htm
from this site, I gleaned:

The development of German was affected by several systematic shifts of
certain consonants. The so-called Germanic consonant shift distinguished
the ancient Proto-Germanic tongue from other Indo-European speech. In this
shift, which is described by Grimm's law, an Indo-European p, t, k changed
to a Germanic f, th, h, respectively; Indo-European b, d, g to Germanic p,
t, k; and similarly Indo-European bh, dh, gh, to Germanic b, d, g. After
the western Germanic dialects had developed their own distinctive traits,
the High German sound shift occurred. Datable to AD500-700, it set the
High German dialects off from other West Germanic speech. During that
period the Germanic p, when used initially, or after consonants, or when
doubled, became pf (High German Pflanze, Low German Plante,"plant"); when
used medially or finally after vowels it became ff or f (High German
hoffen, Low German hopen,"to hope"). Under the same conditions the
Germanic t became z (pronounced ts, as in Pflanze) or ss (High German
essen, Low German eten,"to eat"). After vowels, k became ch (High German
machen, Low German maken,"to make"); in all other cases k remained
unchanged except in the extreme south of Germany, where it first became
kch, and later ch. A later change, found also in Low German, is that of
the Germanic th to d (High German das, Low German dat,"that").