Food Waste (was Re: SC - Question on Butters)

maddie teller-kook meadhbh at io.com
Fri Nov 6 03:52:26 PST 1998

One thing we have done here in Bryn Gwlad with leftovers is save them for
another event. Usually, we have 'tiny tournies' or a revel. The food is frozen
and then we serve it up then. One example, we had an event in October, had
plenty of left over stew so, it will be served up at Yule! Freezers are a
wonderful invention!

Meadhbh

Joyce A. Baldwin wrote:

> Every feast I've cooked and most of the ones I've helped with, there have
> been leftovers.  Well you wouldn't want anyone to go hungry at a feast....
>
> I have gotten into the practice of budgeting into my feasts the cost of a
> humongoid package of Ziplock freezer bags from Sam's Club.   Most leftovers
> will find a good home either with SCA people (I ate chicken for three days
> after Acadamie two weeks ago) or the local homeless shelter, which I would
> hardly call waste. The trick is most  people will need something to
> transport it in as few of us have the forethought to brink our Tupperware
> to the feast (silly me).  You can even transport soups and stews in
> Ziplocks as long as you double bag them.  One layer of bag is a little
> risky for liquids.
>
> Jocetta
>
> At 05:57 PM 11/5/98 EST, you wrote:
> ><PetersR at spiegelmcd.com> writes:
> >
> >>I'll agree; it seems to me, too, that each table should get two sticks
> >>of butter.  All I can say is that in my most recent experience, that
> >>resulted in lots of wasted butter.
> >
> >We used to save the butter.   Properly stored, it will keep for several
> >months and can be used again.
> >
> >Caitlin NicFhionghuin
> >House Oak & Thistle
>
> Joyce A. Baldwin
> Diva Extraordinaire
>
> In the Society for Creative Anachronism:
> Lady Jocetta Thrushleigh of Rowansgarth
> Exchequer, Canton of Buckston on Eno

- --
ÿWPCT