SC Life span of cows was...Re: SC - Period pigs,-the final word for a while

Marilyn Traber margali at 99main.com
Mon Nov 9 11:32:16 PST 1998

> Now, back to medieval food stuff...do you guys think that modern grocery
> store milk is anything like real medieval milk? Why or why not? And if not,
> how can we approximate the real deal? Or do we care?
>
> --AM

no, not at all. the best way to recreate the medieval experience? depends on of
you want country milk or city milk.
country milk
option 1. buy a farm, get a cow, free range it. milk it 2x day, breed it once per
year.
option 2. find a local source for raw whole milk.

city milk
buy a farm, get a cow, pen it in a really small pen, inoculate it with
tuberculosis and/or cowpox. milk it 2x day, scim the cream off, take the resulting
skim milk and  water with pulverized eggshells to make it whitish and translucent
1:1, let it sour slightly and drink luke warm.

lol
margali