SC - Medieval Hanukah/Purim

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Nov 1 05:55:21 PST 1998

In a message dated 10/31/98 9:38:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Seton1355 at aol.com writes:

<<  This is what it says about Hanukah and Purim: >>

Most beautiful Shining Star of the Desert, m'Lady Phillipa, I wish you good
health and well-being as we enter into the new year.

I was fascinated with the excerpt you shared  regarding Jewish sacremental
customs. One of my areas of interest is religious cooking customs and their
origins. Unfortunately, social and corporate rules regarding religion in the
SCA are somewhat strictly inforced resulting in few classes at events that
touch on this subject. I intend try to get  a copy of the book ASAP which will
be relatively easy if it is still in print.

I just finished reading 'The Frugal Gourmet Keeps the Feast-Past, Present, and
Future' by Jeff Smith; ISBN 0-688-11568-3. The book consists of "Recipes and
Stories That Explain How the Ancient Table May Be Celebrated in Our Times and
How Food Functions as Theological Talk in the Bible."

While not exactly authoratative because of a lack of original sources (e.g.
bible verses are sited as the authority), I found this book a very good read.
It gives you a lot of starting points for doing further research and, as
always has a lot of good recipes. While I can't recommend it for the
historical cook I would suggest it as a starting point for further research
especially if your religious bent is Judeo-Christian. For myself, I added it
to my Smith collection. He is not only witty and fun but cooks in a similar
style to my own. :-)
It is a refreshing and eye-opening book which clearly portrays food and
agriculture accurately as the backbone of many of our social customs.

Ras