SC - Italian Ren Feast

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Oct 13 21:07:07 PDT 1998

Hi all from Anne-Marie
Ras describes how to figure how much meat per person...

I'd like to add a bit to that very thorough treatise :)...
dont forget to do as Elisabeth Cook suggests and do a quick cumulative
total of your menu as planned. OK, so figure 1/3 lb of meat per person per
serving, but if you add that to another 1/3 in another course, and then
another 1/3 in another course...

Also, you need to take into account how the serving LOOKS. If you serve the
food on a platter for a table of 8 as we often do, and you figure 3 oz meat
per person, that little pile of 24 oz in the middle of plate will make
diners go "geesh! that sure is skimpy!", regardsless of the fact that they
are getting oodles and ooldes of meat and stuff on other serving platters.

When we served buttered shrimps from Robert May as one of about 8 dishes in
a course of a four course meal, we figured two or three prawns per person.
Now, a little bowl of 16-24 prawns going out to a table alone would have
looked like we were cheap (regardless of the fact that that was MORE than
enough for a table, especially counting the sad sad non-seafood eaters :D).
So we sent it out in a small bowl on a larger platter surrounded with other
food. Big plate=lots of food. at least to the diner who al lthey know is
that they paid $12 to sit here.

Make sense?
- --Anne-Marie
Madrone/ An Tir