SC - Re: tour in time

Micaylah dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca
Wed Oct 14 15:55:35 PDT 1998

I'm afraid I've got to agree with Micaylah 100% on this one. As we are,
we're doing enough tweaking to come up with the ingredients for many of our
dishes- meat cuts, spices (are we SURE that this is the same thing used
back then?) and the Cook's final decision on the proper flavor blend- we
can't be perfect, although most of us think this stuff out very hard, and
try- look at the Dreaded Cuskynole debate. If we tweak it farther, and add,
say, bell peppers because they'd "be good, and everyone likes them" (I hate
'em), we're not trying to cook from Medieval texts as they do, we're using
the texts as a jump-off point for our own creations.

There's nothing wrong with that- Vehling does it all the time, and comes up
with some good stuff, but it's NOT Apicius!

If we do want to tweak the recipes, and call them Medieval, we might just
as well cook hamburgers and hot dogs out on our electric barbecue, serve
them with catsup, and call THAT Medieval.

Phlip
Caer Frig
Barony of the Middle Marches
Middle Kingdom