SC - Politarchopolis event

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 18 00:11:03 PDT 1998

Here are the recipes for the dishes for Baron's War:

from Harleian Ms 4016, pg. 72
Stwed Beeff.  Take faire Ribbes of ffresh beef.  And (if thou wilt)
 roste hit til hit be nygh ynowe:  Then put hit in a faire possenet:
 caste ther-to parcely and oynons mynced, reysons of corauns, powder
 peper, canel, clowes, saundres, saffron, and salt: then caste ther-to
wyn and a litull vynegre:  Sette a lyd on the potte, and let hit boile
 sokingly on a fair charcole til hit be ynogh, then lay the fflesh, in
 disshes, and the sirippe there-vppon,  And serve it forth.

'A Prpoer Newe Book of Cokerye'
To make Apple Moyse:  Take a dozen apples and ether roaste or boyle them and
drawe
them thorowe a streyner, and the yolkes of three or foure egges withal, and,
as ye stryne
them, temper them wyth three or foure sponefull of damaske water yf ye wyll,
than take
and season it wyth suger and halfe a dysche of swete butter, and boyle them
upon a
chaffyngdysche in a platter and caste byskettes or synamon and gynger upon
them and so
serve them forth

 The Goodman of Paris 278/23 -"A Tart"
To make a tart, take four handfuls of beet leaves, two handfuls of parsley a
handful of
chervil, a sprig of fennel and two handful of spinach, and pick them over and
wash them in
cold water, then cut them up very small then bray with two sorts of cheese, to
wit a hard
and a medium, and then add eggs thereto, yolks and whites, and bray them in
the cheese;
then put the herbs into the mortar and bray all together and also put therein
some fine
powder. Or instead of this have ready brayed in the mortar two heads of ginger
and onto
this bray your cheese, eggs and herbs and then cast old cheese scraped or
grated onto the
herbs and take it to the oven and then have your tart made and eat it hot

Curye on Inglysch p. 100 (Forme of Cury no. 12
Take funges and pare hem clene and dyce hem; take leke and shrede hym small
and do
hym to see

> Chekynes in Garlik
 (A Composite recipe created from 2 recipes in "Ancient Cookery")
copyright 1998 L. J. Spencer, Jr.<

 8 chicken thighs
1/4 cup butter, melted
 4 sheets phyllo (filo) pastry, cut in half
 1 head garlic
 1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
 3/4-1 cup chicken broth
 1 large pinch ginger, ground
 1 large pinch cinnamon, ground
1 pinch cloves, ground
 salt, to taste
> Preheat oven to 400 deg. F. Wrap garlic minus 1 large clove of garlic in
foil  Bake 30
mins.
> Brush a half phyllo sheet with melted butter. Place chicken at the top of
the sheet and
roll up. Tuck ends underneath. Place on a greased baking sheet Repaet for
other chicken
pieces. Bake at 350 deg. F. until a golden brown

 Sauce
 Soak breadcrumbs in broth. Squeeze cooked garlic into crumb mixture. Blend
well. Mash
raw clove of garlic into a paste. Add to mixture. Add remaining ingredients
and mix
thoroughly. Heta to boiling. Reduce heat top low and simmer until thickened,
stirring
frequently to avoid sticking

> To serve
 Put wrapped chicken on a plater and pour sauce over top. You may sprinkle
with a small
amount of cinnamon for garnish

A Muzzawara (Vegetarian Soup) 13th century Andalusian from Cariadoc's
Miscellany

2 c lentils
1 1/2 t cinnamon
5 c water
6 threads saffron
1/4 c cider vinegar
1/4 c oil
3/4 t ground coriander
1 t salt
3/4 t cumin
one of the following:
1 1/2 lb gourd (see p. 121)
1 lb chard or beet leaves
1 lb lettuce
2 8" cucumbers
melon (?)
Boil lentils about 40 minutes until they start to get mushy. Add spices and
vinegar and oil.
Add one of the vegetables; leafy vegetables should be torn up, gourd or
cucumbers are cut
into bite-sized pieces and cooked about 10-15 minutes before being added to
lentils. Cook
lettuce or chard version for about 10 minutes, until leaves are soft. Cook
gourd or
cucumber version about 20 minutes. Be careful not to burn during the final
cooking

> Syrup of Lemon
> Andalusian p. A-74
>
> Take lemon, after peeling its outer skin, press it and take a ratl* of
juice, and add as much of sugar. Cook it until it takes the form of a syrup.
Its advantages are for the heat of bile; it cuts the thirst and binds the
bowels. [end of original]

All of these have been posted to the list at one time or another, I know, just
posting them now before I am called a spoon tease.

Mordonna Du Bois
Cook
Haven of Warriors,
Atenveldt,