SC - marrow

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Oct 18 00:09:48 PDT 1998

Margaret asked:

> Along similar lines, has anyone found a good way to get large amounts of
> marrow.  The butchers I've talked to around here (admittedly, not many)
> just look at me funny when I ask for marrow bones. The recipes that call
> for marrow (apple pie among them) are sooo much better when actually
> made with marrow...(although, due to the problem mentioned above, I
> usually substitute butter :-()

Take a look at this file in the FOOD section of my Florilegium:

marrow-msg        (20K)  2/20/98    Getting bone marrow. Recipes with marrow.

There are several messages in there about working with your butchers to get
the marrow and even some cuts to ask for when you can't get the marrow
directly. Also some info on getting the marrow out of the bones if that
is what you end up with. There are also one or two recipes using marrow.

This file in the FEASTS section also has some good info on building up
a working relationship with a butcher that might make them more willing to
make the effort to get you the unusual items you might want:

HC-butchers-art   (13K) 10/ 4/97    For Headcooks - How to work with your
local
                                       butcher.

My Florilegium files are at: http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/rialto/rialto.html

Stefan li Rous