Haggis and lamb tummies was Re: SC - More lamb

Weiszbrod, Barbara A Barbara.Weiszbrod at SW.Boeing.com
Mon Oct 19 07:39:43 PDT 1998

LrdRas at aol.com wrote:

> It seems as if I recall that I saw or read somewhere that capsicums and a
> variety of corn were being grown in Japan or Korea when the Portuquese arrived
> there. Supposedly they had been introduced from the Chinese trade with the
> West coast of the USA. Part iof the supporting argument involved the finding
> of anchor stones off the US coast that were of Oriental fashionand/or origin.
>
> Is anyone else aware of this particular theory? Is there more information
> available about it?

Hmmm. I've heard this before, and I know there is some story or other about
the Chinese having "discovered America". My lady wife assures me it's true. ; )

I do know there is a particular Chinese emperor who was regarded as somewhat
eccentric in his desire to explore the Pacific, and built a ship of a design
that was outlawed by subsequent emperors, because it was designed more or less
as an ocean-going vessel, while the view of subsequent emperors was, "We're
already here, why should we go anywhere?"

I'll see if I can dig up anything more on this, but I suspect it's very likely
the peppers and the maize are in fact long pepper and sorghum.

As for the kim chee question, I'm sure the method of pickling in brine existed
all over the far East, and there are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of
kinds of pickles made there in this way. I vaguly recall hearing about pots of
sauerkraut being found buried in the foundations of the Great Wall, and
numerous pickles, wet and dry, are available for purchase in Asian groceries,
some of which use New World ingredients, and many which don't. This is one
instance where I'd be more likely to accept some speculation that a pickled
dish, sans modern additions like chilies, would have been eaten at least some
place in the Far East, in period.

I'd bet ginger would be the most likely culprit for hotting up a pickle like
kim chee, it's supposed to be in there anyway.

Kim chee, BTW, can be made from almost any vegetable, Tientsin (a.k.a. Napa or
Celery) Cabbage, also often erroneously called bok choy, being a common one,
as is Daikon or Icicle Radish, or a mixture of the two. It is not buried now,
the preferred method being, when possible, to put it in the fridge, which is
all that burying it accomplishes anyway.

Frankly I'm much more worried about the Korean's love of Spam...

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --
Phil & Susan Troy