SC - Pumpkins/gourds (and beans)

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Oct 19 17:29:29 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/19/98 5:05:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time, pug at pug.net
writes:

<< As for the Kingdom law regarding alcohol, I don't see it as a limitation
 to those of use doing brewing and vinting within the Kingdom.  I feel
 that a group or individual should be able to sponsor their own
 activities.  If they require assistance from the group, then they need to
 rethink the activity they have chosen.>>

Huh?  I don't understand what exactly is being said here.  Does this mean that
the shire archery equipment (e.g., butts, targets) should be purchased by the
archers?  That the extra helms, etc., for loner armor should be purchased by
the fighters?  Should the postage, paper, printing costs, etc., be purchased
by the Seneschal or the Chronicler because they need them for their office?
Should rental on the community room be purchased by the dance mistress?  I
don't think so.  Better yet, the books and learning aids for the Shire library
only benefit the handful that use them so they should be added to the list of
'not to be purchased with SCA funds' if I am following the post correctly.

What exactly is an expenditure from Shire/SCA funds which would not be used
for special interest groups?  I can't think of a single expenditure which
would benefit EVERYONE equally.  We have people who do not arch, do not fight,
do not dance, etc.  If an activity or whatever is paid for by shire funds it
is a given that the particular activity is open to all.  The reality is that
only a few will probably partake of the shire's largess.  The fact that not
everyone will choose to attend an activity does not make that activity a
'special' interest activity.

For instance, until the bad law quoted below was instituted, the Brewer's
Guild made a batch of mead every year for 12th Night.  During the rest of the
year, various batches of ale and beer would be produced which, which when
ready, was divided between the people who attended the actual workshop when it
was produced.  Since each Guild has a sub bank account within the Shire, it's
finances are SCA funds by that fact alone even though they earn the money
throughout the year with other projects.  Those funds, legitimately raised by
the Brewer's Guild, cannot be drawn upon to fund the Guild's activities under
current law.  This is neither ethically nor morally right by any stretch of
the imagination.

If I am understanding the logic of the post correctly, the money in the Shire
account which is credited to the Cook's Guild which we earned through sales at
our food booth at several community demos should not be used for Guild
projects, such as the reproduction of the period Italian military field
kitchen because such use benefits only those interested in cookery.  They are
certainly tied up by the law below if we choose to make a batch of ale to be
used in cooking or bread making.

 <<IX. 1. 2. 6.  No funds from any SCA, Inc. account may be used to purchase
   ethyl (human consumable) alcohol for any reason.  Nor can equipment and/or
   supplies be purchased that are intended to be used to make ethyl (human
   consumable) alcohol.>>

Yep, that's the one.  I am amazed that intelligent, thinking human beings
could have come up with such a blatantly unfair and restrictive piece of
garbage especially when this law was based on an isolated occurrence.  A bad
law is a bad law no matter how we try to rationalize it.  IMO, it would be a
service to the Society to try to do everything humanly possible to get this
law revised drastically or, better yet, entirely removed from the books.
Until it that is done, the Dream has become a nightmare for some.

 <<Ciao,

Yours in service to the Dream,
al-Sayyid A'aql ibn Ras al-Zib, AoA, OSyc
Guildmaster
The Gulide of St. Martha