SC - Alcohol law in the SCA-personal thoughts

Weiszbrod, Barbara A Barbara.Weiszbrod at SW.Boeing.com
Wed Oct 21 07:00:56 PDT 1998

> parlei at algonet.se writes:
>
> << In 10th century Scandinavia?  >>
>
> Since 10th century Scandinavia was not mentioned in the tour I don't know
> the
> answer to that one. I would suspect tho' that the Scandinavians of the
> time
> were closer to hunter/gatherer societies than mainstream medieval society
> except perhaps in major towns. It is an area that I have not developed a
> real
> interest in. Sorry I can't be more helpful. :-(

I don't recall any mention of glass manufacture in Scandinavia at the time,
however, you might check with Gunnhilda, the Viking Answer Lady.  The 10th
Century was in the heyday of the Viking excursions which began in the 8th
Century and tapered out in the 11th.  Glassware during that period likely
came as the fruits of raid and trade and would have been prized treasures of
the lady of the house.

Bear