SC - Guilds-(was Alcohol law in the SCA-personal thoughts)

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Oct 21 06:56:51 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/21/98 9:30:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pug at pug.net
writes:

<< Let me say that I am quite surprised at you for having such a short
 attention span on this topic. You and I have gone around about this in
 the past, and you knew then that it was localized to Ansteorra, and out
 and out accused the Seneschal of our fair Kingdom of being a thief and
 recommended prosecution. That is neither hear nor there though. >>

What I actually did was suggest that the Seneschal was illegally retaining
funds which should have been reimbursed to the gentles in question. It was
quickly pointed out to me why my observation was in error. :-) But that is
neither here nor there. as you say.

My question now is what do you mean by the statement concerning the laws about
guilds?

 All of our guilds are chartered by the officers of the Shire and are Shire
Guilds. They each recieve one time start up funding of 50 dollars and are
responsible for raising any further moneys through guild efforts. Each guild
has a steward (e.g. exchequer) that is responsible to the Shire exchequer. If
I am understanding you correctly your guilds are associations of individuals
that happen to  be SCA but are not chartered either locally or  in the
Kingdom. Since one of the tasks of the A & S minister is to encourage the
formation of Guilds, I find this curious although I am aware that self
chartered guilds certainly do seem to be the norm in the Society for what ever
reasons.

As an aside, those members residing in Pennsylvania will be happy to note that
as of 2 or 4 months ago, you not only are allowed to home produce 200 gallons
of wine per adult person per year privately without permit but you are also
now allowed to brew an additional 200 gallons of beer, ale or other malt
beverages per adult person without permit.

I am in brewing/vintning heaven! :-)

Ras