SC - My Upcoming feast... menu ver 1.0

Cindy Renfrow renfrow at skylands.net
Thu Oct 22 11:04:26 PDT 1998

> Unfortunately, Gunter (bless his heart) omitted some key info. This is
> actually Maestro Eduardos reconstruction.

Well, I did leave a couple of things off. There was no mention of Maestro
Eduardo. I was unsure of what the "paste" was indicating so I took AM's
word it was a cookie dough thing. I can see how piecrust would be much
better.

> > >(Digby p155)
> > >To Make Pear-Puddings.Take a cold Turky, Capon, or cold Veal, shred it
> very

> Again, my reconstruction notes were omitted. We tried both, and the results
> were indistinguishable. It was easier to find salt pork than suet for the
> banquet, so that's what we went with.

I did omit the part about testing both and using the salt pork. Oops, sorry
about that.

> > 2. I would expect your 1/4 c of salt pork or suet to weigh a little over
> 2
> > ounces. So the ratio of suet to meat in your recipe is close to 1:8,
> > instead of the 1:1 that Digby specifies in his first recipe (the second
> > doesn't say). That's a pretty extreme change--why did you make it?
> Since one recipe said one to one, and the other didnt give any porportion
> at all, we felt we could do as we saw fit. When we used more fat, they
> melted away and didnt hold the pear shape as well. Perhaps the Digby
> chickens were leaner than ours?

I agree with AM here. Reading both recipes I can see how combining the earlier
and later recipes to fit the taste would still be true to the dish.

Yers,

Gunthar