SC - RE: OT - Louisiana's Loose Liquor Laws

Varju@aol.com Varju at aol.com
Fri Oct 23 10:50:05 PDT 1998

Tara Sersen wrote:

> Forgive me for being clueless (ask Ras - it's a normal state of being
> for me ;) but, what exactly is golden syrup?  I assume it's a sugar
> syrup of some sort, but what is significant about it?
>
> Magdalena

Golden Syrup is a commercial product found in Britain and elsewhere; Lyle's is
a common brand, I gather. It's made from cane sugar, I believe, and is either
very lightly caramelized at some point, and then diluted to form a somewhat
runny syrup, or else it contains some molasses-y impurities, but I'm not sure
which (I suspect it's the former scenario). It looks pretty much like light
corn syrup (gak! but tastes much better!).

My recipe for Yellow Man (or I should say the recipe I have but have never
cooked) calls for:

	1 lb syrup
	1/4 lb butter
	1 lb brown sugar
	1 tsp baking soda
	2 tsp vinegar

You can probably find such a syrup in a store that sells various imported
foods, or one of the baking catalogues, but it's fairly simple to make if you
experiment a bit.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --