SC - OT/OOP: Re - Commonwealth?

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Oct 29 09:43:05 PST 1998

P.S  I am glad to know that I am not the only person to feel this way.
 My shire made me feel guilty when I got upset that one vegiteran
wanted me to cater to her.

- ---Shari Burnham <pndarvis at execpc.com> wrote:

> LrdRas at aol.com wrote:
>
> >   The SCA tradition is to recreate the 'best' of the Middle Ages'.
> > That being a given people who 'insist' on being treated as
peasants should not
> > expect anything less for their anti-organization play.  Frankly
put, if you
> > insist on eating as a peasant at feasts then the bottom line is
for you to
> > provide your own peasant fair.  The 'best' does not translate into
serving
> > foods suitable for the poor at feasts.  In a more practical vein,
the recipes
> > we have to choose from cere created for tee upper middle class at
the very
> > least and for the nobility for all practical purposes.
>
> I agree with this statement.  When I eat feast, I am there to eat a
FEAST.  I am
> not there to eat peasant fair.  I want the best there is to offer.
The idea of
> "keeping up with the joneses" is not a new one.  I'll use Queen
Elizabeth as an
> [...]
> like the queen".  How many nobles in the middle ages would eat like
peasants given
> the choice?  (ok, there were nobility who were not exactly wealthy, I
> understand..)  If there are people who insist on being peasants,
fine.  I could
> use a few more scullery maids.  I have some latrines that can be
cleaned out.

> > What this translates into is that if a person insists on being
treated as a
> > peasant then they should line up at the back door and wait for the
leftovers
> > and scraps to be thrown out to them.
> >

> Come on now Ras, I have hunting dogs to feed.  The poor at the door
can get their
> alms from the church.
>

> > All in all, I agree that 'vegetarians' as we know them in the
current middle
> > ages did not exist during the first middle ages.  I also agree
that it is
> > absurd for 2 or 3 individuals (whether they are veggies or
allergic) should
> > reasonably assume that it would be appropriate to ask that a feast
for 100
> > plus people be specifically geared toward their special needs or
wants.

> > Unfortunately, there is an insidious social custom afoot today which
> > erroneously thinks that because one person is offended by
something there is
> > some kind of obligation to cater to that selfish whim.  I, like
you, ignore
> > such insensitivity to the needs of the majority who are trying to
experience
> > as closely as possible the way they did things in the MA.
> >
> > Ras
> >

> Being a vegetarian myself, I would find it WRONG if someone tried to
accomodate
> little ole me instead of the needs of 100+ people. (and I think it's
wrong when
> others do as well.  Ya don't like it? allergic? DON'T EAT IT!!!!) I
have never
> been at a feast that there was something I could NOT eat.  There is
always bread,
> there are always vegetables, there is always dessert.  And being
demi-vegetarian,
> on the rare occasions that I let myself have fish, It is usually at
a feast that
> I know fish is served.  A true Vegan would have more difficulty,
being on the no
> meat no dairy no animal products, but hey, there is always bread,
usually some
> type of jams/preserves, and plenty of other options they could bring
with them.
> It has been 11 years since I had white meat and 13 since I have had
red, but I
> still cook it, serve it, and have no problems with it.  I think
people who EXPECT
> the cuisinier to cater to their needs are incorrect.  My friend
Dahrien brought up
> a good point (he is an extremely picky eater by the way): feast is
being served
> for those who want to eat feast.  I like eating feast even though
there are many
> foods I do not like, I never starve at a feast.  If people can't be
accomodating,
> they can be un-accomodating at  a restaurant.  This is not BK, you
will not serve
> it "their way". (he has milk and mushroom allergies on top of it).
I like the
> idea that Kat brought up that often two menus were served for
purposes of clergy,
> etc.  I would like to try this someday.
>
> Just my ranting and raving, we now return you to your regularily
scheduled list.
> Lady Elisabeth, who is going on vacation in 13 days and counting.
(the new phrase
> at work is "I'm going to VA. No new projects.")

SCA-Cooks".

==
I play in the shaddows.I hide in the light.
Mine is the world that shuns the light.
For all the evil that ever has been or ever will be;
i am it and it is me.

Morgan Parris
http://members.xoom.com/aelfie