SC - carpenter

Donna Hrynkiw donna at Kwantlen.BC.CA
Thu Oct 29 09:49:03 PST 1998

OK I guess it is time for me to input my .02.

When I volunteer to cook/plan/coordinate a feast I post my menu as far in
advance as possible so that folk can pre-reserve.  If someone makes a feast
reservation and states they are vegetarian, allergic, whatever... I TRY to
accommodate them since they took the time to let me know IN ADVANCE that
they (for example) can't eat celery... so I don't put the celery in the
salad (or whatever, don't have sources to hand)  Or I pre wrap and separate
a chicken piece for them that omits the offending item.  Or do the rice
with water instead of chicken broth... or let them know when they make
their reservation that a certain course will not be accomodateable - so
they can choose not to participate except off board.  BUT if they just show
up at the event and ask (or whine) THEN I will happily provide a list of
ingredients for each dish/each course and they can choose to eat what they
can or can choose to go off board.  As a rule I try to include a complete
protein (like rice and lentils)  even if in different courses, so the
vegetarians are not just doing bread and field greens and veggies.  To me
(based both on what I have read in period sources, what goes over with the
populace in this area and my own personal preference) a feast  implies MEAT,
 preferably in more than one course and of more than one type of beast.  As
far as the populace preferences are concerned - I want to make sure they
eat and enjoy what they have paid for  (and I have worked hard to prepare
for them) so I try to balance the menu between sure fire food (a roasted
meat) and more obscure period stuff (roots with oil) in hopes that the less
adventurous will at least taste the odd item and the more curious will
enjoy them and re-create the dish at a later time for themselves. But
no-one will leave the event hungry (and some may ask for any leftovers of a
dish to take home)!

(stepping of her soap box )   : - )
Gwen-Cat
Caerthe