SC - carpenter

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 29 10:40:23 PST 1998

Greetings from Elizabeth Braidwood,

On Wed, 28 Oct 1998, Decker, Terry D. wrote:

Berengaria, is that you?

> You've probably got the two best sources on historical baking available.
> You might wish to add Bernard Clayton Jr, The Breads of France

I just bought Clayton's "New Complete Book of Breads" last weekend and
haven't had a chance to really read it closely. It's reassuring to see
his name in your list.

> The chapter on baking from C. Anne Wilson, Food
> and Drink in Britain, is of use.

While on vacation this past Sept. I bought a nifty book about the mechanics
and chemistry of cooking -- what's happening on the molecular level,
signs to look for, etc. (Dang, the title and author are just -not- in
my head this morning, I'll post it later.) Despite my description, it's
very readable, and the chapter on grain/flour was very interesting and
instructive (as was the chapter on milk and especially the section on
ice-cream).

>  Jeffery Alford and Naomi Duguid,
> Flatbreads and Flavors, is about traditional ethnic flat breads.

I've seen this and friends have served us meals from its recipes. The
stories that go with each recipe are delightful and the food was wonderful.

Has anybody heard of/seen "Six Thousand Years of Bread: Its Holy and Unholy
History (The Cook's Classic Library)" by Heinrich Eduard Jacob? I've only
seen it in a book list. It -sounds- promising...

The drying of my sourdough starter seems to be a success; I got home last
night to find a jar of frothy yeast-stuff on my counter where the evening
before I'd mixed together flour, water, and a few crumbly bits of starter.
The dried starter is only a week old however, we'll see how well it
does in a month or so.

Is anybody interested in a very good sourdough starter? I'd be happy to
send you some. I tried starting my own from a technique in Silverton's
"Breads from the La Brea Bakery" (good book, but a tad on the pompous
side) and while it worked, the yeast I'd captured wasn't terrifically
vigorous or tasty. One of the faculty here at work brought in a jar
of her starter, which she got from a guy up at SFU (Simon Fraser University,
Burnaby B.C.) who (get this) -collects- yeasts as a hobby. She says
that he said that this starter came from the Poilane Bakery in Paris
where it's been in continuous use for more than 350 years. Yeah well,
whatever the story, it's a good strain that I'd be happy to share. Get
your address to me before this weekend (when I'll be in the US) and I'll
send you some of the dried starter.

Best,

E.B.
Gaudium est in Factio (The Joy is in the Doing.)
Mistress Elizabeth "E.B." Braidwood, Northern Region, An Tir
braidwood at antir.sca.org  or donna at kwantlen.bc.ca