Haggis and lamb tummies was Re: SC - More lamb

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 19 08:19:00 PDT 1998

Weiszbrod, Barbara A wrote:

> > Adamantius wrote:
> >
> > My only caveat is it really ought to be served warm, at the very least.
> > Cold
> > haggis isn't as good as hot.
> >
> hmmmm, do you think it would dry out too much if I put it in a chaffing
> dish?  Or is room temp warm enough?  And if it is room temp, is there a
> worry about health problems?  It gets cooked so long I would think that any
> beasties in it would be dead.

Depending on your casing, you might consider tying them differently, so as to
make smaller haggises, so only X percent of your total batch would be exposed
at one time, which should help with the safety issue. I was speaking from an
aesthetic point of view, though, it just doesn't taste as good cold, probably
because of the fact that the texture of the grains (any grains, that is) is so
different warm versus hot.

Probably if you set it up hot, and have someone notify the judges about it,
and leave it to be judged, we hope, as it cools, it will be OK. A chafing dish
would keep it warm, yes, but eventually it would dry out a bit on the bottom.
If the thing is cased in the usual bagpipe or fat sausage shape, and the
casing is cut open in the traditional x-shaped manner, which leaves four flaps
which can be, to some extent, reclosed, there shouldn't be too much problem
with drying from air exposure.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --