SC - Wedding Feast

Phil & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Oct 26 05:02:17 PST 1998

Aletta Saayman wrote:

> Could one have a buffet for a wedding feast? Did they have buffets in
> Medieval times?
>
> Thanks, for sunny South Africa
>
> Aletheia

They had banquets in late period, a banquet being a sort of sideboard where
dishes of food were displayed in an attractive fashion. Some mid-to-late
period menus refer, IIRC, to a course of cold dishes from the sideboard (does
anyone else recall this or am I hallucinating again?). Now, of course, there's
no reason to assume foods were self-served from the banquet in the way a
modern buffet is served, but if one did provide a late-period banquet at a
wedding, it would probably be logical enough to most people to serve things
that way.

At any rate, a banquet would be likely to include a large assortment of
sweets, such as marchpanes, suckets, confits, jellies marmalades, wafers, and
that kind of thing. Maybe some sweet tarts.

I'm not aware of any reason, other than modern expediency, to set up a buffet
of hot or savory dishes, but then modern expediency isn't necessarily such a
bad thing either.

Adamantius
Østgardr, East
- --