SC - Professional Cooking and Guilds

Stapleton, Jeanne jstaplet at mail.law.du.edu
Thu Oct 29 15:38:31 PST 1998

Peerhaps. However, since professional cooking of the time was in the
hands of
Guilds, this is something that we may never know. I tend to think that
the
manuscripts we have access to  from the Middle Ages were preserved not
because
they were  'commonly available'  but rather because they were uncommon
and
unique.

	I agree with the uncommon and unique part.  Hang on, though:  I
haven't
	done any reading on this topic, but can you give me some brief
info on
	Cooks Guilds?  I assume you're meaning in towns and such; were
cooks of
	the great lords and on manors parts of guilds?  I got the
impression
	that guilds were pretty much a "city" institution, and not a
function of
	court or manorial life.  How are you defining "professional
cooking"?

Berengaria