SC - Marjoram cookies

Michael F. Gunter mfgunter at fnc.fujitsu.com
Thu Oct 8 12:28:23 PDT 1998

In a message dated 10/7/98 10:20:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, timdee at sgi.net
writes:

<< >         I don't care if they are period or not, I want the Marjoram
Cookie recipe!
 > ;-) Hadn't thought of marjoram in a sweet dish before, but mulling it over
 > think I'd like it. Basil cookies are almost standard these days, and I love
 > Rosemary/Raisin combinations, now I've got another idea to play
 > with............ (G)
 >
 >                 Ldy Diana, herb fanatic..........

 Do you have the recipes for these??  My husband & I have many many herbs
 here at the house (home grown of course) :-)  And we have very few
 recipes we can/have tried them with.  We have Thyme, Rosemary, Lavendar,
 Marjoram, Basil (red ruffle), Taragon (I think), oregano, chives,
 Parsley (Italian I think), and I can't remember what else.

 Dierdre
 ====== >>
	Not many "formal" recipes--most are just adaptations of standard ones. A
couple are biscotti recipes, though--I'll try to look them up sometime soon.
But if you have any plain biscotti recipes around, try adding either lavender
or basil (Especially cinnamon basil, with a bit more cinnamon in the batter!
Yummmmm...... ;-) ). The lavender biscotti are especially nice with white
chocolate in the dough. (Isn't everything?!? ;-) ) If you don't have a
biscotti recipe handy, a standard sugar cookie dough is a good base to add
herbs to, as well.
	The rosemary-and-raisin combination is one I picked up from one of our local
Laurels. She made some bread with this combination one time that I fell in
love with! Rosemary by itself is great in sweets, too, of course, but the
raisins are a very nice complimentary flavor. Try it in cookies, muffins,
biscuits, cakes, and, of course, bread........  ;-)  It's best done with fresh
rosemary, so the needles don't poke into your mouth, but dried will certainly
work. Just crunch it up a bit so the needles aren't so long...........

	As for recipes for your other herbs, experimentation will be your best guide,
but there are a *lot* of herb books out there these days with great recipes to
try. Go prowl through the cookbook and Herb sections of your bookstores to
find some that you like the style of. Or check out the magazines Herb
Companion and Herb Quarterly--they have recipes in each issue and it sounds
like you'd enjoy the rest of the articles, too.
	One starter idea, using rosemary again in my all-time-favorite combo: with
garlic! Cover a pork roast with garlic slices and a heavy sprinkling of
rosemary--use lots! Add salt and pepper, and pour enough port wine over it all
to come part way up the sides. Cover and roast until done, removing the lid
long enough to brown the meat. Wonderful stuff........ :-)

		Ldy Diana