SC - Salds-responce

Shari Burnham pndarvis at execpc.com
Mon Oct 5 09:17:47 PDT 1998

>  <<I'd rather be served some of the medieval salads than most of what I've
> gotten today.>>
>

> The Veggie lover says yaay, skip the iceburg lettuce even when NOT doing period
> meals.
> Which brings up the point of what is your version of a medieval salad?  Other
> than leaving out the obvious New World items and adding things like dandelions
> greens, beet greens, spinach, chopped fresh herbs, etc. what else would you
> use?

If I were to pursue doing a medieval salad for a feast, I would stick with
spinach, field greens, and a simple dressing like vinagrette.  One question I do
have: I really enjoy cilantro, especially fresh.  Stefan, perhaps in your
Florigium (sorry about the spelling) can you direct me towards more period herbs
to use as part of the salad?  I know parsley is in period, but I don't remember if
cilantro is.  I will check your salad area for the field greens.(thanks for the
reminder!)

>  <<It also may be that Ras eats in higher class resturants than me and the
> salads are different.>>
>
> I rarely eat in restaurants at all. I certainly eat salads that are different
> from what you have described when I do. And, yes, I do eat in up-scale
> restaurants when I do eat out. I see no reason to waste money eating food
> prepared by a cook that is less capable than myself so i seek places where the
> cook is as good as or better than myself. I had assumed most people did that.
> Silly me.

Ras-Nope. Not silly.   Peter and I follow that philosophy as well, because we
don't eat out alot, and being semi-vegetarians in a very "beer and brat" town, it
helps us to avoid the average restaurants. Why spend $10-15 a person on a meal
that is ok when you can spend the same or more on a meal that you will really
enjoy.  (A new place called Velvet Room went up in town-rumored to fly in all
seafood daily-I want to try the Olive roasted Chilean Sea Bass over new
vegetables.  BTW: got a good list of your favorite restaurants?  I would trust
your recommendations over alot of others!  My favorite meal on the east coast so
far has been at the Bay Towers in Boston.)