SC - Honey drinks (was re: Mead)

kat kat at kagan.com
Tue Oct 27 11:48:51 PST 1998

Russell Gilman-Hunt writes:

	> This may not help you much but I'll try.
	> I had a lunch date with a friend at an Ethiopian
	> resturaunt, and on the wine list was some sort of
	> Honey Wine (with a non-American name!). Tasted like
	> mead.  A lot like mead. (big grin).  You might also
	> try some sort of "Ethiopian" cuisine store.  If that
	> makes sense.

Ahhh, you are thinking of Tej!  It's lovely, though a little lighter and dryer than I usually think of "mead" being.

Wonderful place in Berkeley, on Telegraph, about a block down from the Shakespeare bookstore, called "The Blue Nile," was where I had Tej for the first time.  Happy sigh...  :-)

Someone else also mentioned Barenjaeger, which is put out by the same folks that make Nyqui---- erhhh, ah, I mean Jagermeister.  ;-)  Barenjaeger comes in a *very* distinctive bottle; it's covered in wickerwork with a little plastic bee pinned to it, and the cap is a yellow plastic "beehive."  Terribly good stuff!

Our local Scottish SCA clan, the MacKensies, have a special drink called "Nuclear Honey" that is half Barenjaeger and half Chaucer's mead.  Explodes on your tongue.  Great stuff...  and please, if you make it and people love it, do credit Aelfrike Ryngeweyvre, who first mixed it...

Back to the salt mines...

	- kat