SC - artichokes-warning

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Wed Sep 2 16:49:54 PDT 1998

Bear wrote
>IIRC, sometime ago, one of the cooking shows (Jeff Smith?) was doing
>artichokes and stated that the European artichokes and the American
>artichokes were two different but related plants. Apparently the fuzz of the
>European artichoke is edible, where the fuzz of the American artichoke is
>not.

As far as I am aware there is only one species, but there are certainly
several varieties (they are related to thistles incidentally).

If they are big - fist sized - I remove the choke because I don't like
eating prickles. If you miss a few they have an unpleasant texture but no
other side effects (and I've eating a few). If they are small - walnut sized
up to 2" - I don't bother. In between? depends how mature they look - after
a while you can tell by the colour and shape of the leaves, but I don't
think I could describe the difference :)

Rowan

Robyn Probert					Phone +61 2 9239 4999
Services Development Manager			Fax   +61 2 9221 8671
Customer Support Manager			15 Castlereagh St
Lawpoint Pty Limited				Sydney  NSW  AUSTRALIA