SC - old discussion revisited

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Thu Sep 3 03:59:41 PDT 1998

Brenna:

Here's some info on lactose intolerance.  It's evolutionary.  "The only
populations which eventually evolved to retain the activity of the lactase
enzyme in adulthood were those who were constantly exposed to lactose through
relentless consumption of dairy products--primarily Europeans of Scandinavian
descent."  (Dr. Barry Sears, Enter the Zone p. 102).  It makes me wonder if
domestication of the reindeer in the north predated domestication of cattle
further south, or if it was just that the Scandinavians ate more dairy than
their southern brethren with a more varied agricultural output.  The latest
numbers indicate that about 80 percent of the world's population is lactose-
intolerant.  Apparently, every human is supposedly born with the enzyme, but
we lose it if we don't use it.  I guess it disappears at different times for
different people.  Lactose intolerance usually doesn't set in until
adolescence (maybe it's related to the other changes going on in the body at
that stage of life).  Maybe this youngling lost it earlier than he was
supposed to.  Lactaid Plus works for my roommate most of the time.  Beyond
that, there doesn't seem to be much hope except to avoid the foods that cause
that particular human being distress.

Walk in peace,
Wolfmother