SC - ot/oop: funny story, Thai recipes

kat kat at kagan.com
Thu Sep 3 13:39:34 PDT 1998

At 11:19 AM -0400 9/3/98, Jgoldsp at aol.com wrote:
>Roux is classical french method of thickening sauces and gravies that came in
>to being in France around the mid17th century though there are hints in
>earlier books.This happened because of a little revolution in plowing method
>and in grain plantin{ie wheat} and finally the milling process which aloud a
>finner whiter flour to be produced.

1. What is the evidence for dating its introduction? Where does it first
appear in a French cookbook? Elsewhere?

2. I'm not sure I understand your explanation of why it happened. How would
a change in plowing methods be relevant? Roux uses trivial amounts of flour
compared to bread, so it isn't likely to have anything to do with changes
in price and availability. My impression is that you can make fine flour by
stone grinding--am I wrong?

More generally, is there evidence for this explanation, or is it simply
someone's conjecture?

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/