SC - Lavender Biscotti

DianaFiona@aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 20:48:15 PDT 1998

Sianan,

>>but since it wasn't a roux style cream sauce, I don't think it matters
that much.<<

It wasn't the style of combining ingredients, but the milk/cream cooking
a long time that we have this predjudice against.  Don't know why, that's
just *how we do it*.

I always make a roux, to keep from getting lumps in the sauce.  [Hoo,
boy!  My bridal gravy!!!]  I let the butter melt half to one third, then
take the pan off the heat, letting the melted butter melt the remainder.
This cools it all enough that lumps don't form when I add the flour.  If
I want it to brown, I can do it at this time, but if I want the nice,
pale veloute sauce, I take it off the heat again, add the milk/cream,
combine, and simmer just until done.  It can stay hot while it warms
whatever is in it, like your artichokes.  Now that I have a microwave,
I'm apt to zap the contents good and hot and add to the cream sauce to
serve.
I thought this was a standard way to do this job.

Regards,

Allison

allilyn at juno.com