SC - Lavender Biscotti

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Sep 3 20:48:15 PDT 1998

Greetings, all!
      Well, I managed to find this recipe in record time (for me......)--it
was actually where it should have been! ;-) It comes from Cook's Illistrated,
Jan/Feb, '94, page 13. I have adapted the original a bit--it had orange zest,
which I found I didn't like with the lavender, and called for three eggs,
which made far too wet a dough. And, of course, the original has no
chocolate........ :-(

          Ldy Diana, Diehard Chocoholic

Honey-Lavender Biscotti

2 c. unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt
2/3 c. sugar
2 lg. eggs
3 T. honey
1/2 t. vanilla
(2 T. minced orange zest, if you wish to try it)
1 T. lavender flowers (I actually like more, but start slow and add more
another time)
(1--or 2, if you wish--4 oz. bars of good white chocolate, chopped)

     Sift the 1st four ingredients together. Whisk sugar and eggs in a large
bowl until lemon colored; stir in the rest of the ingredients, then fold in
the flour mixture until just combined. Halve the dough and form each half into
a log about 13" x 2" (Flour your hands and the board you work on well--the
dough is sticky.). Pat each log to smooth it. Bake at 350* F. for  about 35
minutes, until golden and beginning to crack on top.
      Cool the loaves for 10 minutes; lower the oven temperature to 325* F.
Cut the logs diagonally into 3/4" thick slices with a serrated knife. (They
will crumble some as you cut--bonus nibblies! ;-) ) Stand the slices in the
pan at least 1/4" apart and bake about 15 minutes, until crisp and golden.
Cool on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.

	Try them dipped in Earl Gray tea--yummm!  ;-)