SC - Question for Ras and another Garlicky Chicken

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Sat Sep 5 20:13:28 PDT 1998

Here is an update (including spelling corrections) for the garlic chicken
recipe.  Remember that this is a creative effort of a cook in the current
middle ages and is a composite of 2 recipes in Ancient Cookery. I still don't
have me copy back from the person I lent it to so i can't give you the 2
original recipes I combines at this time. :-(

 Chekynes in Garlik
(A Composite recipe created from 2 recipes in "Ancient Cookery")
copyright 1998 L. J. Spencer, Jr.

8 chicken thighs
1/4 cup butter, melted
4 sheets phyllo (filo) pastry, cut in half
1 head garlic
1/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
3/4-1 cup chicken broth
1 large pinch ginger, ground
1 large pinch cinnamon, ground
1 pinch cloves, ground
salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 deg.  F. Wrap garlic minus 1 large clove of garlic in
foil.  Bake 30 mins.

Brush a half phyllo sheet with melted butter.  Place chicken at the top of the
sheet and roll up.  Tuck ends underneath.  Place on a greased baking sheet.
Repeat for other chicken pieces.  Bake at 350 deg.  F. until a golden brown.

SAUCE::
Soak breadcrumbs in broth.  Squeeze cooked garlic into crumb mixture.  Blend
well.  Mash raw clove of garlic into a paste.  Add to mixture.  Add remaining
ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Heat to boiling.  Reduce heat top low and
simmer until thickened, stirring frequently to avoid sticking.

TO SERVE:
Put wrapped chicken on a plater and pour sauce over top.  You may sprinkle
with a small amount of cinnamon for garnish. Enjoy! :-)

NOTES: Since doing this recipe I have experimented with using pastry dough and
find that although phyllo sheets are wonderful when used for this dish it is
also particularly tasty using pastry dough ESPECIALLY if salted butter made
from soured cream is used for the dough making. Also use day old bread with
the crust removed for the crumbs. Using dried breadcrumbs produces an inferior
product. The amount of broth needed will vary depending on the humidity.

A'aql ibn Ras al-Zib (pronounced "Ras")
Guildmaster
The Guilde of Ste. Martha