SC - recipe spreadsheet

LrdRas@aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Mon Sep 7 05:29:38 PDT 1998

Lord Ras quoted Mistress Christianna:
<< Gee, the variety that grows the best here in Atlanta, Ga. is
> called "Spanish Lavender" by the nursery, I wonder which one of the above
> that would be?  (I have long lost the tag that came with it...:( >>

And added:
>French Lavender has surrogated leaves.  English lavender for all practical
>purposes does not.
>
>Ras

I believe the word your spelling checker may be looking for is serrated :)

Perhaps the following descriptions may help to identify the Spanish
Lavender.

French lavender is a woody shrub that requires a hard prune every year to
keep its shape.  It has sticky, serrated leaves (dentata means teeth) and
flowers on short spikes.

English lavender has smooth silver grey foliage and the flowers are on long
spikes.  It can be cut back hard but doesnt require it to form a pleasing
shape.

Italian Lavender is smaller, but very bushy with soft grey, pointed leaves
and velvety flowers.  It is described as being commonly used in Spain and
Portugal as a favourite strewing herb on festive days in churches and homes.

If the description fits, Spanish lavender may be a form of  Italian lavender
(L. stoechas) and therefore recommended for strewing and possibly drying,
but not the preferred variety for perfume or cooking.

 Then again it might be something entirely different, assembled in a
horticulturalist's laboratory for its superior marketablity but not
necessarily any other useful trait.  (with reference to strawberries,
apples, and any number of other so called improved plants)

Hope to be of help..

Esla