SC - Culinary Heaven

LYN M PARKINSON allilyn at juno.com
Wed Sep 9 22:49:23 PDT 1998

Just because you wander,
doesn't mean you're lost.
- -----Original Message-----
From: Craig Prince <house51 at iinet.net.au>
To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG <sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG>
Date: Wednesday, September 09, 1998 8:19 PM
Subject: Re: SC - HELP!!!!!

>Get lots of help. Is about the best advice I can give.
>I once catered for a scout camp 1400 screaming kids out of a tent.
>You don't need to get the help to do the serious cooking, just get >them to
do the simple stuff ie. all the mise en place (food prep) and >the serving.
The reason why you need so many is to give them all >short shifts as being
volunteers they dont wish to spend all their time >in the kitchen.
>The bulk of the help does not need a great deel a knowledge, what >you do
is get a core group of about 6 or so people that do and then >get them to
direct the others.
>The key word is delegate. Do not try to do it all yourself.
>Another thing is to over estimate the amont offood you are going to >need.
Not by too much. It is a fine balance that comes with practice, >as there is
nothing worse than going home from a feast still feeling >hungry.

I could not have put this better myself. Please, for your sanity, put
emphisis on the word DELEGATE. A head chef does very little actual cooking,
they oversee everyone else doing the work. This is how they stay sane (Well,
mostly anyway). And try to have fun, too.

Thorbjorn the Cook