SC - Thoughts on Food

Brenna sunnie at exis.net
Tue Sep 15 03:51:08 PDT 1998

Cariadoc sent our version of Menagier's spinach and other greens tart,
including the comment:

and Claricia/Erin Kenny wrote:

>GO FOR THE BEET GREENS!!!   (not a criticism -- I understand the
>difficulties in procuring them)  Beet greens have a much milder
>flavour than spinach, and usually you can get them for a song at a
>market (I have yet to pay for any of mine -- the farmers just ask if
>I have any rabbits and then scratch their heads).

We have done it with the mixture of beet greens, spinach and other herbs
called for in the original; by the time you have all the other greens,
seasonings, and the cheese in there, it doesn't make a large difference in
taste whether you have just spinach or both spinach and beet greens.  Part
of the reason we use spinach as a substitute is that Menagier considers
spinach to be one sort of beet greens.

Elizabeth/Betty Cook