SC - Dinner for an Arthurian Idyll

Gretchen M Beck grm+ at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 17 16:27:43 PDT 1998

Hi Folks,

I'm cooking the feast for an Arthurian Event next weekend, and throught
I'd post the menu now.  I've got recipes for everything, but for now
I'll just post the originals (or at least such as I have with me at the
moment) without my redactions (I'll give the redactions after the feast,
so I can note any changes/problems with making them large scale).  Since
Arthurian legend reached its height of popularity in France, the feast
is a 15th century French feast, with a couple of dishes from other
times/places.

If anyone has made any of these dishes before, and has suggestions, I'd
be happy to hear them;

1. Lunch
    Chicken with various sauces
    Pies of Herbs, Cheese and Eggs
    Applesauce
    Bread, cream cheese, and jams
    Plums and Peaches

 cold sage sauce, mustard sauce, and cameline sauce
A cold sage - Cook yourpoultry in water, then set it to cool; grind
ginger, cassia buds, grains of paradise, and cloves, and do not strain
them, then grind bread, parsley and sage with, if you wish, a little
saffron in this greenery to make it a bright green, and sieve this, and
some people add strained, hard-=cooked egg yolks steeped in vinegar; do
not boil.  Break your poultry apart into halves, quarters or members,
set it out on plates iwth the sauce over and hard=cooked egg whites on
top.  If you use hard eggs, cut them up with a knife rather than
breaking them by hand. (Note, Chiquart presents a somewhat fancier
dscription, saying to cut the egg whites like dice)

Cameline sauce - Grind ginger, a great deal of cinnamon, cloves, grains
of paradise, mace, and if you wish, long pepper, strain bread that has
been moistened in vinegar, strain everything together and salt as
necessary

(Mustard sauce I don't have the recipe for with me)

    Pies of Herbs, Cheese, and Eggs
Take parsley, mint , chard, spinach, lettuce, marjoram, basil and wild
thyme, and grind everything together in a mortar, moisten with pure
water and squeeze out the juice; break large number or eggs into the
muice and add powdered ginger, cinnamon and long pepper, ad good quality
cheese, grated, and salt; beat everything together.  Then make very thin
pastry to put in your dish, of the size of your dish, and then line your
dish with it/ coat the inside of the dish with pork fat, then put in
your pastry, put your dish on the coals and again coat the inside of the
pastry with pork fat.  when it has melted, put your filling in your
pastry and cover it with the other dish and put fire on top as well as
underneath and let your pie dry out a little, uncover the top of the
dish and put five egg yolks and fine spice powder carefully over your
pie. then replace the dish as it was before and let it gradually cook on
a low coal fire, check often to see that it is not overcookintg.  Put
sugar over the top when serving it.

Applesauce - Again, an Applesauce: to instruct the person who will be
making it, get good Barbarin apples in the amount that are to be done,
pare them properly and slice them up into fine gold or silver dishes.
He should have a fne, good clean earthenware pot, put good clean water
in it and set this to boil ovr good bright coals and set hi apple to
boil in it.  He should see he has a great quantity of good sweet
almonds, depending on the amount of the apples, he has et to cook, he
should skin them, clean them wash them thoroughly and put them to be
ground in a mortat which doesn't smell at all of garlic, he should grind
them well and moisten them with the bouillon in which the apples are
cooking.  When these apples are cooked through, take them out onto good
lean work tables and srain his almonds with that water and make milk
which is good and thick of them, and put it back ot boil again on bright
clean smokeles coals, with a very little salt.  In the meantime, while
it is boiling, he should chop up the apples very finely with a clean
ittle knife, then after that, he should put them into his milk, and put
in a great deal of sugar depending on how much applesauce there is.
Then when the doctors aks for it, put it into find gold or silver bowl
or pans.

toodles, margaret