SC - Fish at Feasts

Craig Jones. craig.jones at airservices.gov.au
Thu Sep 17 19:00:06 PDT 1998

Catfishes look like a carp type fish to me (those whiskery things, and big
flat heads. ugh). Now, catfish is tasty. Carp is nasty I'm told, so I dont
know as I would sub.

- --Anne-Marie, who knows how you cook a carp. First, you catch your carp.
Then you clean it, and nail it to a cedar board. Season well with salt,
pepper, lemon and a bit of dill. Carefully build a medium hot fire with
cedar chips. Get to glowing coals. Carefully suspend or prop the board up
so that the fish is gently roasting in the heat from the coals. baste with
drawn butter and white wine. When the fish is white and opaque and the fins
pull off easily it's done. Take the fish off the board and eat the board.
We recommend a dry white wine. :D

- ----------
> From: Micaylah <dy018 at freenet.carleton.ca>
> To: sca-cooks at Ansteorra.ORG
> Subject: Re: SC - Fish at Feasts
> Date: Thursday, September 17, 1998 6:17 PM
>
> I'm almost positive its new world...anyone?
>
> Micaylah

> >Beatrix asks:
> >
> > IS there any period recipes using catfish? )
> >
> >Actually, I think catfish is New World, but it sure is good. Wondering
if
> >any of the old world fishes might be similar enough in flavor and
texture
> >to substitute? Anybody have a clue?
> >
> >Phlip
> >
> >Phlip at bright.net
> >
> >Never a horse that cain't be rode,
> >And never a rider that cain't be throwed.

SCA-Cooks".