SC - Poudre Forte and Poudre Douce - measurements

Mordonna22@aol.com Mordonna22 at aol.com
Sun Sep 20 18:17:24 PDT 1998

Micaylah wrote:

> Hi there, Bread virgin here...
>
> I am atempting to make Sticky Buns. In the recipe it specifically calls for
> "Robin Hood SAF Yeast". So off I went shopping this a.m. and couldn't find
> this puppy anywhere to save my life. What I did get was Fleishmanns Active
> Yeast.
>
> Now, in pre-reading the recipe it states that I include the yeast right in
> with the flour, sugar, salt in a large bowl????? Add milk, butter and egg,
> knead and place in a greased bowl. And then let it stand for 1.25 hours.
>
> Okay, I may have never baked real bread since I was a kid but I have used
> yeast in the past. Don't you have to start it with sugar and water? Is SAF
> yeast something entirely different? Will putting the Fleishmanns Active
> Yeast in place of the other screw this up?
>
> Help!

Sounds right.  I make bread all the time, and the flour, sugar, salt, shortning,
and yeast get mixed together, (the water is usually warm BTW), set aside and let
rise, punch down, rise again.  The only difference I have found in yeasts is
whether or not they are fast acting.  Fast acting takes half the time of
regular.

Brenna